Monday, April 23, 2012

1940's dress

So, the last picture I posted was of an in-progress Civil war era dress for Addy. Well, the dress is finished, but there was a change of plan along the way. In the effort to conserve the piece of fabric that I had and make the most of it, I used a different pattern for the skirt and forgot that it was shorter than the original, and I added the growth tucks in before I check the length of it against the doll. Since I didn't have enough fabric left to cut another skirt, I sat it aside the dress aside for a few days while I thought of a solution. Looking at some 1940's fashions I found one that looked a lot like the dress I was working on, and BAM! my inspiration was back.


The dress was done for a few days before I got the chance to get the pictures of it, and it was hanging with the other clothes for a few more days before I got the chance to upload it to m y cmputer, and then it was a few more days until I was able to list it on Etsy.

So,  since beginning therapy for my hands and wrists, I've been trying to sew more since the pain I have in my hands has decreased. I've found that I am still having to take frequent breaks, but the breaks are lasting as long, which I'm very glad of.

So, my current project? A spring Colonial day dress with peplums. The top is done and the peplums are on. Now the main skirt needs to be gathered and attached so I can add the final touches to it. 

I have Physical Therapy tomorrow, so we'll see if I feel up to sewing tomorrow. My nerve study is scheduled for Thursday, and more PT on Friday, so I am going to try my best to get the dress finished on Wednesday.

Until next time...

No comments: