I just mailed out a completed Mix and Match outfit for a sewing swap over on AG Playthings. I thoroughly enjoyed making the outfit. I used a pattern and actually followed the directions. Weird, I know. Usually I make some modifications hear and there and laugh at the directions, but not this time. In my swap recipient's questionnaire she gave two eras to chose from: one I was very comfortable with, and the other was an era I had been wanting to sew for but hadn't made myself do it yet. So, knowing me, I went for the challenge. For a pattern from the Big 4 (Butterick, McCall's, Simplicity, and Vogue) I was very impressed with the directions. There was only one part of the first piece that made me go "WHAT?!", but it was easily remedied. I made one piece twice using different fabrics, and when I made it the second time I didn't even look at the directions. Honestly, this outfit was much easier that I thought it would be. Now, my cape blows in the breeze as my chest swells with pride as I have now conquered an era that was intimidating. In all of my years of sewing I am still learning new tips and tricks. After all, you can teach and old dog new tricks. But I'm not old right? Right?!?
So, all of this talk of this new outfit, you would think I'd post a picture, right? Nope. Well, at least not today. Since I just mailed it off today, it will be a few days before my swap recipient receives it, and I don't want to spoil the surprise. But what I can do is give you a sneak peek. I finally got over straight angle photography, so I played around with some creative angles to show off the cute little details of the whole outfit. There was a good bit of hand sewing, and as much as I hate hand sewing, it wasn't too rough on my hands since I made sure to take lots of breaks.
So, besides working on the above outfit, I've been continuing to work on my scrapbooking. At the 36 hour Christmas in July crop at my LSS (local scrapbooking store), I was able to sew some of my sewing swap outfit, but I also did some layouts during my 24 hours of straight cropping. Here's the layouts:
Noah (The title isn't glued down yet since I'm not 100% crazy about my handwriting with the Distress Stickels and the white marker I used didn't tickle my fancy either, but everything else I love)
Dylan (yes, my ScrapCessories box for my Cricut cartridges snuck into the picture. If you don't have one of these for your Cricut cartridges, GET ONE! They are AWESOME!)
Yep, 24 hours straight, and I did 3 layouts. In my defense I also did some sewing of the swap outfit, cut out some more pieces for the swap outfit, and even had to make a quick run to the fabric store for a spool of thread and a spool of lace (but came back with a spool of thread and 12 spools of lace).
This is Rosie the Crop Robot. Since yesterday she has been the centerpiece of a crop table for my mom and some friends at the Creating Keepsakes Convention in Charlotte, NC until Sunday. She is 11" tall and made from glitter paper and Bazzill Bling. I don't have pink paper in my paper stash, so I made this at the Friday Night Crop last week since I could purchase the paper at the crop (and get opinions from other croppers who don't cringe at all the pink).
Dylan. This was done at the crop on July 16th. Distress Crackle Paint in Rock Candy, is awesome! I used it on the pumpkins (from Cricut cartridge Designer's Calender, font is from Cricut cartridge Don Juan) after I inked them with Vintage Photo Distress Ink and the Ranger Foam Ink Blending tool. I used a vanishing ink pen to make my journaling lines, and whew, that was helpful!
So, my bloggy buddies, next time I'll post the rest of the pictures of the sewing swap outfit that I sent out, plus the one that I get from the swap.
Until next time...
straight stitch or glue glider adhesive, you decide :)